Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Friday, January 7, 2011

Unaffected

Here is a question to think about - what does it take to move me? Imagine that there is a poor man on your doorstep. How would you act and live differently if your house was next door to a slum? Would I take on their hunger and need as my own? Or would I go my own way and do my own thing - unaffected? Jesus told quite a scary story about a rich man who was unaffected by the poor man laying at his gate. It's a challenging read @ http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2016:19-31&version=NIV .
In our global village, the poor truly are on our doorstep. The problems of this world are only a mouse click away, you may even get a phone call from India today. At the moment, half of the state of Queensland is covered in flood waters. Lives have been lost, homes have been lost, crops have been lost, families are devastated. But in my cosy home, it's easy to be unaffected, to see a natural disaster as just another news story.
With so much media, we have been desensitised to the problems in the world. They seem like somebody else's problems, somebody else's world.

Brooke Fraser: "Now that I have seen, I am responsible."

A.Willis "Comfort raises tolerance for injustice."

Consider what moves you...

compassion
anger
fear
injustice
love
need
revenge
desire
greed
kindness

Last night there was a story on the 7pm Project about waste and need in Australia, have a look at the link if you like:  http://7pmproject.com.au/food-glorious-food-recovery-program.htm#embeddedforumform
Is anything like this happening in your local area?

No comments:

Post a Comment