Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Excess Stocktake

While we have been doing a bit of a clean out over the last few weeks, I thought I would do a little stocktake of things we have in excess, from my (Sarah's) perspective...

Things we have in excess:
- bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the shower
- toys
- maternity clothes (going to op shop or pregnant lady in need)
- long grass
- books that we may read one day (mostly Mark's)
- tupperware that's the wrong size
- one narky rabbit
- cutlery, particularly spoons
- dinner plates and mugs
- ants that have made their home with us
- daddy-long-leg spiders, that freak the kids out
- craft that the kids have made and won't let me throw away
- magazines collected - time, notebook, gourmet traveller (if that doesn't say something about excess!)
- space in the garden
- love, compassion
- dvds that we don't watch
- bills
- don't even start me on the pantry

And that is only the start of the list, there is so much that we don't need! We have a little home that's a bit too cluttered at times. We've been making good use of our op shop lately, and I hope some families in need are getting good use of our quality goods.
Why do we collect so much stuff?! We used to be able to fit everything we own into two suitcases, and had a little bit of storage at my mum's.
What do you have in excess at your house? Have you thought about it? Do you like it that way?
Best comment gets to choose a book off our bookshelf:)
Sarah x

5 comments:

  1. LOL @ spoons!

    I am doing some spring cleaning today and going to organise the kids craft stuff (and, ah, throw a lot out).

    I wish i was more organised and had less clutter around. i don't know where it all comes from but i've made a resolution that this year i am not going to buy stuff ~ well, stuff we don't need even if it is on sale or an awesome deal or whatever. i was pretty good last year as i never really went to the shops. so, that made it easy ;)

    love this post sarah.

    hope you get rid of those ants ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One idea for kids craft... take a photo of each piece of craft. Kids are happy because there is a permanent record of what they made which takes no space (except for memory on your computer) and then you can throw away the bulky craft items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I have too many clothes that I don't wear. I plan on donating what I don't need, and not buying any more clothes unless absolutely necessary.

    I was listening to a podcast, and there was this girl fasting not food, but clothes shopping for a whole year. I don't know if I could do that. But I can definitely cut down.

    And I know I have too much paper. It's the one thing that just PILES up everywhere.

    Anonymous, that photo idea is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas:) Nomes and Pam, you're welcome to pick a book from my bookshelf. What sort of books do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post Sarah! It makes me think about how much is in our house that we don't need!

    We have too many toys! I don't know how much space we had before we had kids but now it's all filled with toys!

    I cleared out two boxes of coffee mugs and I still have TWENTY mugs - I can't fit 20 people in my house and they aren't all going to want a coffee/tea at the same time!

    I tried to clear out my bookshelves - found a few for the op shop but I love my books so much! Books are my kryptonite!

    I need to clear so much stuff out of my house - it would make it easier to clean and keep tidy and we would be happier - yet I find it so hard to get rid of stuff!

    I don't get to the shops much - which helps with the not spending money on things we don't need!

    Pamela you might like this post
    http://www.worstedwitch.com/2006/11/17/clothes-call/

    Has anyone read the 'Little house on the praise' series by Laura Ignalls Wilder - I was reading some of them again and it reminds me how much hard work they had to do then to survive (yet I think it's an effort some days to chuck the clothes in the washing machine!) and how happy they were with the few presents they were able to give and how special making your own present is. My sister and I were tossing up whether to do a second-hand Christmas - where you could only buy things from op shops or second hand! - less expensive and better for the environment.

    Also - are there any second hand bookshops in Penrith any more?

    ReplyDelete