Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Activist vs. Heartivist(?)

I didn’t know what to think when someone first described me as an activist. My image of activists has always been people who get blasted by water cannons. I was being interviewed by a guy who is doing his PHD on teacher motivation, he summarised my desire to work as a teacher as being an activist – someone who does things to try and make a difference.

I had never thought of it that way but I realise that I do like to do things. It is kind of where I come from in terms of my personality and motivations. It’s something that I value. I have been good at making things happen and getting things done. I have always thought that this quite an asset – but now I realise that it can also be a liability.

Being motivated to ‘do’ things can lead you to forget to simply ‘be’ someone. Trying to do too much will lead to stress, burnout and conflict in relationships. Sometimes what we do doesn’t work. It becomes easy to judge others by what they do, and when we start to compare ourselves to others.

I consider myself to be someone who can commit, work hard, get things done and achieve goals – but more and more I am valuing the heart over the actions. Without a heart that is strong, free and open I don't think our activities will necessarily amount to much.

On New Years Day I felt to read what Jesus said in Matthew (Chapter 6). Jesus tells His followers not to worry about life – clothing, food, our bodies and the future. I reflected that most of the goals I usually make ultimately could be described as worrying about these things. This year, on my journey, I want to worry less about what I do and make goals for my heart instead.

Are your New Years Resolutions about ‘doing’ or ‘being’?

(I struggled to think of an opposing word for activist – can you suggest something better than ‘heartivist’?)

No comments:

Post a Comment