Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Monday, January 24, 2011

Need?

The advertising industry has really messed with our concept of the word need. In a very blessed country like ours often the needs we talk about are actually wants.

Looking at what others have makes us feel that we need it. Advertisers cleverly engage our desires such that we start to imagine that we would have difficulty living without that thing we’ve never had before. An ad that I particularly dislike at the moment has one young boy boasting about his family’s car over the fence to his young neighbour – yuck! Surely this is something ugly in our culture.

As a parent, my young kids regularly tell me what they ‘need’. It has made me even more suspicious of the word. I catch myself using the word quite liberally but I have started to try and flag it and ask, ‘Do I really need that?’ I don't think there’s anything essentially wrong with having things we don't need but a think it’s good for our hearts and our minds to challenge the assumption in our words.

I heard a great message at church recently by Rob De Martin, which challenged some of our culture’s assumptions about the way we think about and use our money. Rob said in the context of financial planning that, ‘Our needs tend to be exaggerated.’ Our idea of ‘need’ can really drive our hearts to selfishness, despair and even financial ruin.

Paul in the Bible said, ‘I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.’ Philippians 4:11-13

The secret is that we can choose contentment. If we imagine that it is something that will fly in the window and land on our shoulder sometime we will be waiting forever. We have the choice to question our idea of ‘need’, and decide to be content. I know that I will surely keep catching myself saying the word, and hopefully keep learning how to choose contentment.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great post Mark - if only we asked ourselves that questions 'Do I really need that?' it would be so much better for ourselves, our families, our finances and our world. I've seen people on Facebook get involved with 'Buy Nothing Week' though I can't remember when that is. Also I liked this post ( http://www.worstedwitch.com/2006/11/17/clothes-call/ ) - which also made me think, as I was feeling bad that I want to buy organic/fair-trade clothes but can't afford it at the moment but second hand clothes (or buying nothing when you don't need anything!) is even better for the environment!

    Our culture has us thinking that we will be happier with more and we need all these things - yet we would probably be happier without all this stuff! Yet I find it hard to clear everything out of my house that I know I don't need and still get sucked into advertising (oooh IKEA catalogue!) even though I want to be a better steward of my money and the world's resources.

    Step 1: get to Bunnings and get a 'NO JUNK MAIL' sign for my letterbox! Less temptation (not to mention all the ads are online if I need to check them) and less paper wastage. Baby steps!

    ReplyDelete