Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Interview with Jessi

We interviewed our friend Jessi, a year 11 student. Recently, and in spite of adversity, she has made some great choices to focus on others. I asked Jessi a few questions about her very first trip to the developing world.

Why did you want to go to India?
Being a regular, devoted Imagine Nations church attendee, monthly we have our missions Sunday which gives insight to the church, our missions offering giving and the work which is being done all across the nations. In hearing about missions in our school and how it links to our church, I challenged myself to think what it would be like to be a missionary. Whilst battling with my own insecurities and selfishness, with the strength of God pushing me towards doing so, I applied to jet set off to India. Since first thinking of going to India, to applying to go, to actually going, it was a growth process. I had some friends and family members in which I told of my decision to go to India as a missionary who judged upon the fact of my past rebellion to this spontaneous act. At times it brought me down but with God alongside, I made it through.

What did you give up to go there?
I’m currently a full time year 11 student, who also has a part time job. Weekends I work at KFC and when I can would see my friends whilst during the week I‘d dedicate my time to studies. I had been at KFC for a year upon application for India and never found a real want or must to spend the money I earned. I gave up my self centred -ness and gained the long want for the heart of God. After my first few deposits, I began to feel a loss and suddenly a want to spend my money on perishable things. It wasn’t long after though that I realised what had been consuming me, the sneaky attack of the enemy trying to steal my joy. I prayed and was instantly renewed with a generous spirit.

How did the trip change you? What did you receive in your life by going?
My first sign of change was seen internally. I noticed my prayers weren’t about me and protection only of those close to me, but also of those I had not even met yet. Until I met the residents of Jaipur and those from the Helping Hands School, I clearly saw the need for such prayer dedication. Every day was a new challenge. In comparison to the waking smell of coffee in the morning, I woke to the smell of polluted air and the smell of erupted sewers. The smell was quite confronting. Helping the kids in the school and seeing what joy they have, strikes me to think of their conditions. They live in absolute poverty and yet they’re the most bright, beautiful, most joyful people you’ll ever meet still managing to smile considering their circumstances. In challenging myself with that thought, I thought back to my life situation 10 months before my time in India. I was going through a hard time in my life with rejection, isolation and despair. My situation is quite common to those in countries like America and Australia, but in contrast to these poor little girls and boys who don’t even know their parents, who don’t have their own pillow to cry into, who don’t even have tissues to wipe their tears, gave me strength and courage to move on from my hurt. I asked Jesus to take it and replace it with peace and a heart for the lost and in that moment of prayer, my eyes were finally opened and fixed to the need of others rather than of me. I received a stronger, more stable relationship with Jesus and a lifetime experience which will always be referred to as a life changing testimony.

Jessi did something significant which redefined her life. Have you ever done something like that? Is there something you'd really like to do?

Thanks Jessi for sharing your story with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment