Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's your poison?

Having the ability to buy what we want can lead us to depend on things we never really needed. Taking stock now and then can help us to weed out things that might be starting to take a hold on our hearts.

Now there's nothing wrong with food, I love food, but sometimes my stray thoughts about food betray a subtle dysfunction in my heart. If I've had a great day I can think I should celebrate by over-eating. If I've had a tough day I figure I should reward myself by over-eating.

As you can see, there's a problem somewhere. The problem isn't food but rather in the way that I can tend to lean on it, when it becomes more than satisfying physical hunger but rather about trying to satisfy my soul.

Real soul satisfaction doesn't come from eating myself into a coma. We can start to crave things that bring only a short-term benefit. Then we feel awful and start the cycle over again. The marketing of so much rubbish depends on it.

Or we could give it all away for something else.

Is there anything that you yearn for that you shouldn't?

1 comment:

  1. Exchange yearning for contentment, Exchange anxiety for peace, Exchange greed for generosity, Exchange wealth for simplicity, Exchange expectations for expectancy, Exchange responsibility for response, Exchange guilt for grace, Exchange loathing for love, Exchange rejection for acceptance

    ReplyDelete