Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

the battle within

To be honest, I've struggled a little with the idea of Mark and I writing this blog. When I think about what I actually do, and what I'd like to do for others, I feel like I'm being a hypocrite to write and inspire others about it. I'm just a housewife, with my hands and time full with three littlies. Sometimes I wonder if I am really making a difference to global issues, to helping people and to the world at large.
But I've been encouraged to look at what is in my hands, and to do something with it. But even more than that, to do something with what is in my heart.
I like to pray while I'm cleaning up the kitchen. And I've often been amazed to find my prayers for others being answered. We can help people in the natural, but I'm not one to deny the power of God to turn people around, to lift them up, and even to turn nations around.
It's also important to me how I teach my children and to help them to have as many opportunities to help and bless others, through school fundraisers and through our local charity.
But more than anything else I want to be an example to them and to daily put myself in a position to help and bless others.
What do you have in your hands? I've often been inspired by my friends who only buy fair-trade chocolate, tea and coffee, others who recycle diligently or save water in their backyards, some who ask for donations to causes they passionately care about - rather than accepting birthday presents, and some who fight for justice in the local council and government, or my brother who has started to do seminars in high schools on global issues and social justice.
Maybe on my own, I can't do that much. But I believe that together we can bring freedom and justice to many. As we individually do our small part, we are inspiring others and gathering momentum, as we build a culture of living for others.
Mark and I want to be inspired by you! And I know that what you have to offer is an inspiration to others. We can't change the world on our own.
What do you do with your excess gifts and talents? It might seem small to you, but we want to know. Can you share with us some information on where to buy fair-trade stuff? Can you share with us how you fight injustice? What are some of the small things you are doing, that would be big things if others got involved?
Go on write a comment:) or instead write something cool on your facebook status or twitter, or maybe put this blog on your status? :)

3 comments:

  1. There is a quote by Mother Theresa - not sure exactly how it goes but it's something like this: "If you can't feed 100 people, start with feeding 1 person".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicky! I think I'll write about Mother Theresa next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found giving up Milo ridiculously hard at first! But now I don't crave it at all. I just find it sad how many people don't want to know or don't care that the chocolate they are treating themselves or their kids with was at the expensive of a child in slavery.

    There are so many inexpensive fair-trade products available now. Aldi has lots of inexpensive fair-trade chocolate (and their fair trade tea bags are good) - so when fair-trade does not cost you any more (blaxland IGA fair-trade tea-bags are not any more expensive than normal tea) - then why do people not choose compassionately?

    Apparently Nestle kit kats are now fair-trade in Australia this year, and cadbury has it's plain chocolate fairtrade.

    Writing letters to companies and supermarkets helps them know that you want fairtrade and you appreciate their efforts.

    It can be overwhelming but just doing a little bit at a time - focusing on one thing at time makes it manageable. And it is making a difference!

    Thanks for this blog Sarah and Mark - encouraging each other is incredibly important on this journey!

    ReplyDelete