Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Monday, December 27, 2010

Want not, waste not - this is what got me started.

I hope that you enjoyed National Leftovers Day as much as I did, as Boxing Day has become known. We were able to share a substantial amount of desserts from Sarah’s family on Christmas Day with my family on Boxing Day, then polish off some side dishes for dinner. I have noticed more than ever at big gatherings that the host is very keen not to get left with all the leftovers.

I was surprised again on Boxing Day when I read in the Herald that the average Australian family throws away $1000 worth of food each year! As a nation we waste $78 billion a year, which has increased 50% since 2005. While it’s great to appreciate how blessed we are that we can choose the best of food, and no-one would advocate risking food-poison to try and make a point, it is a staggering statistic and something worth some serious consideration.

I was at World Vision’s Global Leadership Convention for students a few months ago when I was first shocked by the stat that households in our society waste 20% of our food. In fact out of the entire very excellent day, the facts they presented on the issue of waste hit me the hardest.

They explained clearly how waste contributes to higher demand, which leads to higher prices, which in our global economy, price the poor out of the market for basic food items. So the fact that I almost always throw away the crusts and the odd half a loaf that gets mouldy before we get to it contributes to the fact that families in the developing world struggle to buy any bread at all.

That day I started to think about how demand in the human heart, especially the ridiculous demand we have where we are rich enough, contributes to much of the world’s biggest problems from food wastage to sex trafficking. I thought about how this demand is driven by a yearning in our souls for real satisfaction. That’s actually when I started to feel hope because I believe there is an answer to that.

I believe that belief begets behaviour - that what’s in our heart will always determine what our hands will do. To try and change our habits with our food waste will only be window-dressing – we must find soul satisfaction, something real, something powerful to change us. While it is worthwhile for us to check the content of our rubbish bins, it’s way more important to consider what’s in our hearts.

How do you find satisfaction for your soul?

Take a few minutes when you have the time to check out the 14 min video at http://www.worldvision.com.au/40HF/Videos.aspx . It’s a great video and it’s quite an education about world issues.

Here’s the SMH article: Our pioneering Penrith council gets a very positive mention! http://www.smh.com.au/environment/wasteland-the-78b-of-food-aussies-throw-away-20101225-197fc.html

No comments:

Post a Comment