Sharing what we never needed, gaining the real satisfaction we always hoped for.

40 days to think, 40 days to share, 40 days to respond (24th December 2010 - 1st February 2011)

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Simply Rich

Caitlin and Billy are part of the world of a verse novel by Australian poet Steven Herrick. He writes in a way that shares the character’s inner thoughts. The novel is called The Simple Gift and is a great read, students I teach who hate reading love this book. It’s a story that shows that generosity changes everything and anyone.

Caitlin is a girl in a posh senior high school, her world has been somewhat challenged after meeting a boy who is homeless yet happy.
“… I’m not a spoilt brat OK,
but I am spoilt,
spoilt to boredom,
and I’m smart enough
to realise that none of this
means anything
except my parents are rich
and I think I want this stuff
or need this stuff
and I know what I really need
and it’s not in my bedroom.
and it’s not able to be bought
in any damn store.” (p.88)

Billy has walked away from an abusive home and ended up in a country town living in an old train carriage. He ponders after receiving his first pay from casual work in a cannery.
“… with nothing
you’re rich.
You’ve got no decisions,
no choice, and no worry.
Here I am walking
in the sunshine of another day
buying the world
and worrying over choices
I didn't have to make a week ago.
I wanted to spend the money
Quickly
so I could go back to nothing,
go back to being rich
and penniless again.” (p.81, from The Simple Gift UQP 2000)

There’s something wonderfully simple, even satisfying, about having less.

What do you think that you would gain by giving what you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment